This granola is one of my favorite breakfasts to have on hand, with its perfect level of sweetness and delightful pops of crunch from the toasted quinoa. When you eat this granola, the milk turns chocolaty and tastes exactly like the Cocoa Puffed milk of yore — so delicious! You have to try.
Gluten-Free Nutella Granola
- 3 cups raw oats
- 1 cup raw buckwheat
- 1 cup hazelnuts, rough chopped
- 1 cup toasted or puffed quinoa
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
1. Combine oats, buckwheat, hazelnuts, quinoa, chia and coconut sugar and mix well.
2. In a small saucepan, add coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla salt and cocoa powder; stirring constantly until coconut oil is melted and mixture is smooth.
3. Pour over dry ingredients and stir well, then spread in an even layer on parchment lined baking sheets.
4. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and store in jars at room temp for 2 to 3 weeks.
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2-3 hours, then drained
- 1 cup shredded dried coconut, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, then drained
- 4-5 cups water, based on desired thickness (4 cups makes more of a whole milk feel, and 5 is closer to skim)
- Pinch of sea salt
Blend all ingredients on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until very well combined, then strain out solids using a dish towel or nut milk bag, squeezing well to get all liquid out.
Milk keeps for 4 to 5 days in the fridge.
About the Author
Liz Moody is the woman behind the popular healthy food Instagram account @notcrazyhealthy, where she posts daily recipes and health tips. Named one of the best healthy Instagram’s to follow by Glamour.com, she’s also been featured on Redbook and Health Magazine. Having lived in Europe, South America, and the US, she’s passionate about making healthy choices accessible everywhere, and as such has recently launched EatWell Europe, the world’s first healthy food travel guide.
Thanks to mindbodygreen.com for permission to reprint this excerpt.