by S. Neil Vineberg
Whether we like it or not, work can be stressful. New York Times reporter David Gelles described his experience as a reporter at the Financial Times in his new book, Mindful Work. “The job, instantly, was overwhelming. For the first three months I had breakfast meetings, lunches, and after-work drinks on top of long days at the office. Anytime a deal broke, or was even rumored, I was expected to match the story or take it forward. It was exhausting, and I noticed my stress levels ratcheting up. Luckily, I knew what to do. Though mindfulness works best as a preventive medicine, it can also prove an effective remedy. And after a few intense weeks of M&A reporting, I sensed it was time to recommit to meditation.”
Google, Apple, Target, and Aetna are among top companies engaging in corporate wellness programs that include yoga, meditation and mindfulness practices to reduce the cost of health care, increase employee productivity, reduce absenteeism, and increase job satisfaction.
Pilgrimage Yoga Online has helped companies plan and offer corporate wellness programs that include in-office and online yoga, and wellness and meditation classes that are available to every employee.
The benefit of corporate wellness programs can be as high as $3 for every dollar invested, says Ron Goetzel, director of the Institute for Health and Productivity Studies (IHPS) at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health.
The Wellness Council of America suggests that a company needs an operating plan for creating and managing a wellness program, and they offer 7 essential steps you can take:
- Write A Vision/Mission Statement For The Wellness Program That Incorporates The Organization’s Core Philosophies
- Set Specific Program Goals and Measurable Objectives That Are Linked To The Company’s Strategic Priorities
- Set a Timeline For Implementation
- Establish Roles And Responsibilities for team members who are engaged
- Create a Budget To Carry Out The Program
- Market and Promote The Wellness Program In-House
- Create Evaluation Procedures To Measure The Stated Goals And Objectives.
Interested in starting a wellness program at your company?
Contact the corporate wellness group at Pilgrimage Yoga Online for more information.